How to moth ball a project vehicle?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: How to moth ball a project vehicle?
From: Mike Lang <mlang@easystreet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:00:27 -0700
I now have a dilema. The body tub for my TR3 has been dipped and
stripped, and I have partially completed its restoration. The sills and
floors are ready to weld in, but there is quit a bit of rust repair left
to be done. At the rate that I have been going, there is probably a
little more than a month's worth of work left before it's ready for primer.

We just stumbled acrossed an excelent oportunity on a foreclosed piece
of property which has a fairly new house but no shop. It took some
negotiation, but the bank took our low-ball offer. I am now stuck in the
situation of having to put my project car in mothballs for six months or
so while we move and I build a shop. The up side is that now I have the
oportunity to go from working in a two car garage to the 30 X 60 shop
that I always wanted.

My body tub has been treated with an iron phosphate coating, so it is
showing no signs if rust. I don't however, think that it would be smart
to leave it for six months or more without further rust protection. I
have considered a light coat of primer for protection, but the down side
is having to sand all of the areas that need welding when I start work
on it again.

Any one have any suggestions as to how I should best protect the bare
metal while in storage?

Thanks,

Mike

1956 TR3