Re: Electric Fan Control

To: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Fan Control
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 22:55:00 -0700
Cc: "tr list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
All I can say is there seems to be some sound reasons for either
choice.  What I like about using the temp as the water exits the
radiator is that the fan only comes on when it is needed, i.e. when the
coolant isn't being cooled by the radiator.  For example, if you were
pulling fast up a steep hill, the coolant leaving the head might be
getting hot, but upon exiting the radiator, it might be fine.  Running
the fan wouldn't help in this case.

The current setup I have now seems to keep the temperature (measured at
the thermostat housing) much more constant than when I had the switch
at the top of the radiator.  Could be that it was just a function of
the switches, and that either place could behave the same.

In some sense I think measuring after the radiator gives you an earlier
warning, as the too-hot coolant leaving the radiator has to make it all
the way back through the engine before it results as too-hot coolant
leaving the engine.  (I realize that in practical terms that probably
doesn't make a difference).

I guess the best answer is to have a switch in both places!

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS CTC67956L