RE: A type overdrive problem

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A type overdrive problem
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:34:52 -0800
>     Today I put my newly rebuilt A type overdrive .  Got nothing.  The
> solenoid engaged but the OD did not engage. When I disengaged the
> OD there was
> no loud click.  Does that mean it is not building pressure? Is
> there anything
> I can check while the OD is in situ, or do I have to pull it to
> diagnose it?

Bob, there are a couple of things you can try with it in place, although you
will have to pull the trans tunnel again.  The first I would try is putting
the rear end securely on jack stands then with the engine turning the rear
wheels in 4th, first engage the solenoid and then push forward firmly on the
'adjustment' lever on the right side of the OD.  If the OD now engages, you
may need to use the modified solenoid adjustment that many people have
documented.  If having the rear wheels spin scares you, then you can
disconnect the driveshaft instead.

Nelson Riedel has written up some wonderful troubleshooting instructions for
the A-type, they're posted on the Buckeye Triumphs site at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org
Near the bottom of part IV is also the modified adjustment procedure I
referred to.

Randall