RE: ebay and value

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ebay and value
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:26:46 -0800
> Just one thing to remember about ebay.  Items for sale there sell
> for absolutely no more and no less than someone is willing to pay
> for them.

Well put, but not entirely accurate.  It actually takes two people, one who
thinks it's worth one bid increment less than the selling price, and one who
thinks it's worth more than that.  If only one person bids, he gets it for
the minimum bid/reserve, no matter how much he is willing to pay.

Some other caveats :

There are times when a used but original item on eBay is worth more to
someone than a new replica.  I paid more than the reprint price for an
original Competition Preparation manual (in excellent condition), just
because I wouldn't have felt right asking Kas to sign a reprint.
Reproduction memorabilia just doesn't cut it for me <g>

Shipping can also be a factor, I was recently ridiculed on another list for
paying full price for a new item on eBay.  Thing is, the eBay seller only
charged me 4 GBP for shipping, while the vendor supplying them at the same
price would've charged me much more.

And last, I think many of the bidders on eBay simply don't know where to buy
the item otherwise, or only look at vendors that charge that much.  Jaguar
and Healey parts in particular seem to sell for more than our Triumph
vendors charge for the same exact part, apparently because the Jaguar and
Healey vendors charge more.

Randall