Re: Uneven brake wear

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Uneven brake wear
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 00:58:56 -0700
Cc: Alex Redding <aredding@mail.com>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Phil Ethier wrote:

> [...]

I'm really late getting into this fray, but, as Phil says, there's no
slide. Strictly two pistons. Others have suggested that the piston is
sticking, and I'd go along with that, except that the original problem
was that both left and right sets of pads were wearing the outside pad.
In thinking about the front end geometry, there's a couple of degrees of
positive camber or so on this car. While the caliper is aligned to the
vertical link (in theory, maintaining orientation with the rotor with
the positive camber), that positive bias also causes the rotor to rub
more on the outside pad, because of bearing play. If the bearing play
were slightly excessive (not enough to cause noticeable bearing wear),
the rotor will tend to lean more into the outboard pad, causing some
additional wear.

Just my couple of cents.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.