Re: Gear reduction starter on TR3: The saga continues

To: "richard triplett" <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gear reduction starter on TR3: The saga continues
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:28:16 -0800
Hi Richard,
What do you mean the tranny was only on loosely? I believe the starter bolts
to the bell housing which is part of the trans which if it's "loose" would
cause the starter to miss the flywheel, wouldn't it? Although I admit I
can't picture a loose tranny hanging there.

Anyway, the combination ring gear and starter is critical.  When the starter
is engaged does the starter gear move towards the starter housing or away
from it?  If the gear moves away from the housing (towards the back of the
car) you have to old style starter.  The proper ring gear will be a
compression fit and the bevel will be facing the front of the car.

If the starter gear moves in towards the starter housing when engaged, then
the ring gear should be a bolt on and the bevel on the teeth will face the
rear of the car.

I'm pretty sure I got this right, if not I trust someone on the list will
correct me.

Bob