TR8 Power steering removal,

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR8 Power steering removal,
From: <robert.banathy@am.kwe.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 11:02:19 -0800
Hi Bud and list,

I removed the power steering from my 1980 TR8 and frankly prefer the manual
rack.  The steering response is not quite as quick as power, but I find there
is a more positive and connected feel. Naturally the steering effort is
higher,  but even with 205/60's on the car it is manageable.  The steering
effort in parking lots is significantly greater, but once rolling it feels
great.

One potential concern is that the hydraulics in the power rack also dampen
some of the shimmy and vibration to which wedges are prone.  After conversion
to the manual rack I had noticeably more shake and shimmy which required
careful balance and alignment to correct. In addition,  a new shaft was
required.

Overall, however, I am happy with the conversion.  No worries about leaks, and
a useful bit of weight was taken off of the front end.  If you keep your power
rack and all the bits and pieces you can go back, but for me, I prefer it
manual.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Bob Banathy
1980 TR8 FI