Starving Fuel on 72TR6

To: Fred <fred@tr-ific.com>
Subject: Starving Fuel on 72TR6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:21:01 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gBUFNEcq013954
Message text written by Fred
>I'm somewhat puzzled on this one and I need a little help.

Three or four weeks ago I took the 72 TR6 for a spin and when it got
warmed up it started to cut out like it was deprived of fuel.  I could
let off the gas and reduce speed and it may accelerate OK and then blank
out on me again.  I headed for home and parked it so I could deliberate.

A couple of days later, I started er up to back it out of the garage and
gas was pouring out of both carbs.  I shut it off and cleaned up my
mess.

Today, after tapping the floats on the carbs, started er up again and
let it run to normal temps.  It idled good without pause or hesitation.
Then I took er out for another spin.  Same thing happened...I could
accelerate with good authority and get up to 20 - 30 mph, and the bottom
would drop out like it was starved for fuel, then come back to life for
another try at accelerating.  I headed home again. It did not seem to
matter whether I was on flat road or on a hill in either direction.

My neighbor, who happens to be an automotive electrical engineer for
Chrysler-Daimler sees me scratching my head and comes over for a look.
Seems that the problem, in his humble opinion, may be coil related.
Specifically, the coil ballast resister.
http://tr-ific.com/images/Coil-72tr6-122902.jpg

I compared the coils on both my TR6ers and the coil on my 76 is
different than the one on the 72.
http://tr-ific.com/images/Coil-76tr6-122902.jpg  The 72 has aftermarket
electronic ignition.  The 76 does not. There's a ballast resister on the
72 but not on the 76. John Massey's Yellow Book suggested that there was
an addition of a ballast resister after 73 to provide more juice while
the starter was turning over.  This was added due to the extra pollution
stuff, etc. (Could both the DPO's have traded coils?)

My question at this point is am I looking in the right direction for my
starving fuel problem?  I do not feel that this is carb related, but I
am not sure.  I could not really tell from John's book that it is
electrical. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
<

Fred,  I'd have another look at the fuel system.  Why were the carbs
overflowing?  Could there be debris in the fuel system that held the float
valves open?  If so it could also be causing a restriction causing a fuel
starvation situation.  Pull a hose off of a carb and pump some fuel into a
clean container for evaluation.  Do you see stuff in there?  Do you have a
fuel filter?  Is it clogged?

The 76 TR6 does not have a ballast "resistor" because it has a ballast
"resistor wire."  This is a wire in the harness made out of (not copper)
and has the prescribed resistance and looks to the outside world as just
another wire.

Use this as an excuse to buy more tools and buy a fuel pressure gauge.  ;-)

Good luck

Dave Massey