RE: Starving Fuel on 72TR6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starving Fuel on 72TR6
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:42:12 -0800
> My neighbor, who happens to be an automotive electrical engineer for
> Chrysler-Daimler sees me scratching my head and comes over for a look.
> Seems that the problem, in his humble opinion, may be coil related.
> Specifically, the coil ballast resister.
> http://tr-ific.com/images/Coil-72tr6-122902.jpg

Did he say why he thought the ballast resistor was a problem ?
That coil is clearly not original, to my eyes it looks like a common
replacement coil, and although I can't read it in your photo, I'd guess the
white lettering says something like "12v use with external ballast
resistor".  (I have a very similar coil on my TR3A.)  It depends on which
electronic ignition you have, but most of the ones commonly sold for LBCs do
require the resistor (when used with a coil that requires a resistor).  BTW
you can buy generic ballast resistors to go with your generic coil, ISTR my
last one cost me $15 at Pep Boys.

While the fuel pouring out of the carbs _could_ be coincidence, it seems
unlikely to me.  There's some kind of crud roaming about in your fuel
system; my guess is that it's both blocking fuel delivery and jamming the
float valves open.

> There's a ballast resister on the
> 72 but not on the 76. John Massey's Yellow Book suggested that there was
> an addition of a ballast resister after 73 to provide more juice while
> the starter was turning over.  This was added due to the extra pollution
> stuff, etc.

As someone already commented, the ballast resistor on your 76 is
incorporated inside the wiring harness (resistor wire).  That looks like a
Lucas coil, so it's probably the right one.

Randall