RE: TR3 Rocker Cover Gasket

To: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Rocker Cover Gasket
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:30:48 -0800
Scott, it's definitely not normal.  How did you check that the gasket
surface is flat and not bowed ?

Doing anything close to what I would call "really tightening" the nuts will
bend the heck out of the stock steel TR3 cover (and BTW the stock TR6 cover
is also steel).  Aluminum covers actually tend to be more rigid, since they
are much thicker.

Justin's gasket is much softer than the cork, so it should be better able to
deal with any distortion in the cover, with a minimum amount of torque.  I
don't have the instructions handy, but ISTR Justin recommended an even lower
torque when using his gasket.  I know on my car I can barely tell the
difference in torque between what it takes to turn the Nyloc nuts, and
compressing the gasket.

Randall