RE: Semi-Sealed Beam Halogen Headlamp

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Semi-Sealed Beam Halogen Headlamp
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 05:57:55 -0800
Scott :

In some areas, those small bulbs are used as front marker lights in place of
the marker function of the original lights on the grill.  I believe the
issue in those markets is that the marker lights have to be white, while the
turn signals have to be yellow.  So, the appropriate place to wire them in
would be the 'taillight' circuit.

I think having them would be kinda cool; I normally run with the headlights
on even in the daytime, and having those "city lights" (as some call them)
would definitely save power and lifetime on my Xenon headlights.  I also
have yellow lenses on the lights on the grill, so I would probably
disconnect those marker lights.  However, on my TR3A the headlight
'grommets' are molded onto the wires (as original I believe), so putting
additional wires through really isn't an option.  I would probably add a
hole to the bucket if I was going to wire them on my car.  It won't hurt a
thing to just leave the bulbs unwired.

I was also worried about clearance between the city light connector and the
bucket, you might check before going too much further.

One other thing to watch for ... European spec headlamps come in different
light patterns.  Be sure you didn't get "LH dip" (for countries where they
drive on the left).  I much prefer "RH dip" to the "center dip" I
inadvertently bought for my Stag (soon to be replaced).

Randall