Re: GT6

To: Alun Bain <MPArun@minorplanet.com.au>
Subject: Re: GT6
From: "M. Secrest" <vze34wdb@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 21:32:00 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Alun:

I know about as little as it's possible to know about the GT6 gearbox, except
that
it's a notorious weak spot on the car.  Being just a mildy uprated Spit box,
it's
prone to breakage from the extra torque of the GT6 engine.

The engine, on the other hand, is probably the most reliable part of the car.
Depending on the miles, though, you may want to drop the pan and check that the
thrust washers are still in place and their float measurements.  Just like in
every Triumph engine, it seems, they can drop out and are subject to failure
before other parts of the engine.

Be careful that you don't get infected with Shipwright's Disease once you've got
the pan off -- you may want to renew the main and big end bearings, and once
you've done that, you'll want to pull the head to do a valve job, and pretty
soon,
you've taking out a home equity loan.

--
Martin Secrest