Re: No more shlep boys etc

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No more shlep boys etc
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 23:25:29 -0600
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 4:21 PM

> I am indebted for the many replies defining the shlep word and its place
in
> the American English language. Particularly Ray Antoky's detailed history
of
> Pep Boys. Clearly of Yiddish origins with strong German overtones as I had
> thought. No doubt its roots derive from the German word 'Schlepper'
meaning
> (among other things) an agricultural tractor. With the winter now upon us,
> my cars in the garage, I can now go for a 'Schlepp' on my Fergie - down as
> far as the pub. It's too damned cold to travel further!
> Thank you all for your illuminating input. I don't quite know what I'm
going
> to do with this priceless gem of intelligence - but no doubt fate will
find
> a way?

Webster says:

schlepp
Variant(s): or schlep /'shlep/
Function: verb
Etymology: Yiddish shlepn, from Middle High German sleppen, from Middle Low
German slEpen
Date: 1922
transitive senses : DRAG, HAUL
intransitive senses : to proceed or move slowly, tediously, or awkwardly

I had always understand a schlepper to be "one who carries things", so I
guess it could apply to a tractor as well as person.