Re: Garage heating

To: <steven@newellboys.com>
Subject: Re: Garage heating
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 23:16:02 -0600
Cc: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: "Steven Newell" <steven@newellboys.com>

> Thanks, Phil. Does the "flame schematically outside" design help
> reduce the risk of Horrible Explosions Due To Leaky Carb Jets?
> Or the half dozen other leaks that stink up our garages.

That's certainly my fervent hope.  It also prevents your heater from dumping
CO, CO2 and moisture into your shop space and prevents your heater from
eating up the oxygen in your shop space.

>I wonder
> whether a cold drafty garage is just the thing for our cars?

My shop is OK, but I can see why some ventilation could be a good thing.  If
the occasional opening of a door is not enough, I can flush it with fresh
air with my two small windows and the small fans which sit on shelves built
for the purpose.  I have a door from the shop to the outside that I seldom
use, but it does not seal right.

My garage is definitely ventilated.  The eaves are perforated, and there is
no ceiling.  In the summer, the TR4 smells like gasoline after a spirited
drive, so I often leave it sitting in the garage (the 'Burb can sit
outside!) for hours and push it into the shop later.

> And you may have nailed the origin of the NIN name.

Not likely, but the pun on the founder's name was too good to pass up.  BTW,
I don't listen to him.  Prefer dIRE sTRAITS, Bonnie Raitt, Jimmy Buffett,
Joe Juliano., Big Head Todd, Crow, Robert Cray, Don Ellis, Jackson Browne,
Jethro Tull, The News, any number of jazz-rock folks like Herbie Mann, Odell
Brown, Johnny Lytle, Gabor Szabo, BS&T.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com