RE: TR3A Geearbox Refit

Subject: RE: TR3A Geearbox Refit
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:41:09 -0700
Cc: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> As to the height
> of the rear engine, my concern is not getting the bell housing on the
> correct plane with then block, but rather if I have the engine rear too
> high or too low, this will effect the rear of the gear box sitting
> properly on the rear mount while the engine is still held in the
> back by the jack.

Scott, it doesn't work this way.  You have to have the engine tilted up a
bit, so that the transmission is slightly higher than the rear mount, while
you mate the bellhousing and block.  Once it's slid home on the engine, spin
one of the nuts on the studs, then let it hang while you install the other
nuts and bolts.  Then lower the jack and let the gearbox settle into place.

Randall