RE: Silicone Brake Fluid

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Silicone Brake Fluid
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:47:07 -0700
> I guess I am looking for some real world experience
> that will convince me I need to go all the way with
> all hoses and seals.  Front caliper seals, master
> cylinder and two hoses already replaced...

David :

IMO the need to replace everything is mostly a myth.  There is some
rationale for getting all the old brake fluid out, which requires
disassembling a fair amount, and if there's any doubt about the condition of
things now is the time to replace them.  But I don't believe there's any
necessity beyond that.

I've switched several cars and my motorhome to DOT 5, and never replaced all
the hoses and seals.  In fact on the motorhome, the switch to DOT 5 actually
made one of the front calipers stop leaking for quite a few years.  It's
started weeping again after about 7 years, guess I'll finally install that
hard to find seal kit.

The TR3A was switched to silicone some 15 years ago (don't recall just
when), and is still wearing 3 of the 4 hoses it had before the switch.  One
hose did fail, but it was many years after the switch to silicone, and as
far as I know it was still the factory hose ...

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)