RE: Wind deflector DIY $20 cn.com>

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wind deflector DIY $20 cn.com>
From: corey.sherman@RCN.COM
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:55:23 -0400 22, 2002) at 04/20/2002 08:55:25 AM, Serialize complete at 04/20/2002 08:55:25 AM
I started to write this DIY for LBCarCo, but never submitted it (still in
draft form, but this will give you a good idea of what can be done). I
built the windbaffle with great success! I'm been just a bit too busy to
finish these instructions.

*** DRAFT *** not complete.

Ever get tired of wearing that baseball cap every time you take to the
open road over 50 mph... tired of your wife complaining that her hair gets
too tangled when you drive... you don't feel like spending $200 on a wind
baffle for your LBC. Well here's the solution.

For less than $20, an hour of time, you can fashion your own wind baffle,
that is incredibly impact strength, very flexible, and has high UV
resistance.

Project Description:
Using a small Lexan sheet secured by three sets elastic bands is an
effective & low cost windscreen. Several elastic bands secure the
windscreen to the seat backs, much like a worker's "hard hat". The "back
draft" pressure created by the wind adds additional stability to the
windscreen from vibration, and an additional strap to the floor of the car
keeps it from lifting up unexpectingly.

Supply list:
Cost   Item   Qty  Description
$12.00   A  - [1]  clear "Lexan" polycarbonate plastic
                   approx 12"x36" 0.125" thick
 $3.00   B  - [3]  1"x 36" woven elastic bands
 $3.00   C  - [6]  rivets and snaps
 $1.00   D  - [1]  screw in rivet and snaps

Tools:
Drill
1/2" drill bit
rivet gun
scissors
tape measure
*optional saw if additional cutting of lexan is required

Instructions: [draft - still under development]
Step 1 - measure windscreen size

First, measure the outside distance between your two seats headrests (LHD,
left driver's headrest to right passenger's headrest). This is the maximum
Length of the lexan you need. Then measure the distance between [a] the
top of the seat's headrest and [b] the convertible top when folded down
(you may include Top Stowage Cover). This is the height required, which
varies based on your vehicle and preference, but 12" should be adequate.

Step 2 - Drill holes
Once the right size Lexan sheet has been acquired, we need to drill holes
required to secure the Lexan to the back of the seats. For my 1971 TR6,
which has high back seats, I positioned the holes in a triangular pattern,
surrounding the headrest.

Step 3 - lace the elastic bands in a "Y" pattern through the holes and
secure with rivets
Step 4 - ...