Re: Just a Thought about sealing wire wheels.

To: "Bill Pugh" <anabil@relay1.caltel.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Just a Thought about sealing wire wheels.
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 23:21:20 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@relay1.caltel.com>
To: triumphs@autox.team.net <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: Saturday, April 13, 2002 11:39 AM
Subject: Just a Thought

>Hi Listers,
> I have been thinking about an idea one of the listers had
>about stoping grease/oil from seeping out of the hub spoke ends on
>wire wheels, his simple solution was a thin layer of silicone sealer.
> Would the same idea work for the spoke ends on the inside of
>the wheel instead of struggling with the "rubber band" thingy??
>Maybe a few coats of that rubber stuff you use to dip tool handles
>in??

Not sure whether you are still planning on using inner tubes, so forgive me
if the following does not apply.

>Just a thought, I am sure we will soon hear the "pros and cons"

One thing you may hear about is the reluctance of tire shops to put tubeless
tires on "non-safety" rims.

Been down that road with wheels on my '66 Midget.

Not sure how stringent the LEGAL requirement on the shop is.  Paul Williams
Tire in Minneapolis agreed to mount sticky Yokohama autocross tires on my
"non-safety" MG
Midget steel wheels if I would sign a release.  I signed a paper that said
something like "Tires mounted without tubes on non-safety rims at customer's
request.  Customer accepts all responsibility."

Modern rims are
"safety" rims, designed specifically for tubeless tires.  They have a bump,
or bulge, running around the wheel just inside of the bead area.  The tire
bead is partially trapped by this bulge.

The idea is that if there is a sudden loss of air, the tire has a better
chance of staying on the wheel, since there is something holding the tire
bead to the rim flange besides just air pressure.

I have seen cars with tubeless tires on non-safety rims side off the road
and, when the tire got bounced around in the rough stuff, suffer sudden
total loss of air when the bead slid into the center cavity of the wheel.

All that said, it is not necessarily all that dangerous.  I autocrossed the
Midget for about a year on those steel wheels, and again one time after
Steve Carter took out the fender flares in order to sell the car for me.
Never had any air-loss problems.  Your mileage may very.

So you may have a choice.  You may find a shop to mount them through
ignorance.  Or you may find a shop that will do it with a signed waiver.
Just don't sue the shop for mounting them wrong if you do have a problem.

I think that British Wire Wheel markets safey wheels in certain non-stock
sizes.  I believe they have them made up for them by Dayton.  The rim needs
to have space for the safety bumps outboard of the spokes, so the rims are
wider than normal for a tire of that spoke count.  BWW seals the spokes for
you.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org