Re: Just a Thought about sealing wire wheels.

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "Bill Pugh" <anabil@relay1.caltel.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Just a Thought about sealing wire wheels.
From: "Dixie" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:23:33 +0100
Interesting that tubless tyres are allowed in competition in the US. In UK
this is not possible. RAC  rules for rallying, autocross and such like
dictate that tubes are used even in tubeless tyres for exactly the reasons
that you gave in your posting.

On my wire wheels I used two turns of 'Duck' tape (2" wide reinforced
plastic tape) to protect the tubes from the spoke ends. No one locally had
the special rubber gaiters available at the time.

I think it highly unlikely that silicone sealer would work efficiently to
permit the use of tubeless tyres. I believe that there is too much flex in
the spokes to permit this.

Adrian
TR4A CT64306 O