RE: TR2/3 - Stuck Engine - HELP!

To: "Rob Blubaugh" <blubaugh@rcsc.k12.in.us>, "Triumph digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2/3 - Stuck Engine - HELP!
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade2@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:48:25 -0600 FILETIME=[AD14C330:01C1DF3E]
My thoughts were of an electrical fault.  On trying to discover exactly
what it was, I did lots of engine cranking in my garage.  I was getting
fuel and spark, but the engine NEVER FIRED A LICK AGAIN.  Now the BIG
problem:  on tapping the solenoid to "bump" the engine so I could set
the points "open" for inspection (Mallory dual points ignition), the
engine has now LOCKED UP COMPLETELY.

     DOES ANYONE HAVE IDEAS WHAT THIS COULD BE?

I believe the answer to your question will probably be that the starter gear
is stuck in the flywheel ring gear.  After all your pushing around, I'm not
sure what might have happened to the starter, but if it was still in working
order, a hammer whack to the starter might normally "remind" the starter to
retract it's starter gear.

You might ask what evidence leads me to the conclusion that it is the
starter:  the fact that it first did this when you touched the solenoid with
the express purpose of "bumping" the engine forward.  I believe that the
starter never disengaged.

However, this will not solve your initial problem of a poor running engine.
Post more information for everyone to help on this issue.

Good luck,
Eric Conrad
'76 TR6 (CF52678U)