Re: White Gunk in Oil

To: GGanoung@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: White Gunk in Oil
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 01:33:34 EST
The best guess is water in your oil.  If so, the question is how did it get
there? Might be some condensation, particularly if you live in a humid area
and have recently used your car only a little on short trips, but if there is
lots of the cheezy stuff (more than 3 or 6 flecks) I'd wonder.  A leak
somewhere between the cooling water jacket and the oil is another, more
serious guess.  Head gasket, cracked head.
I'd change the oil, being sure to flush out all the crisco, wipe the stick
clean, maybe pour some oil down the dipstick tube to flush it. Look at the
drained oil carefully, maybe run it through a piece of cheese cloth, see how
much crisco you can find. If lots, think leaking water.  Then take the old
girl out for a real good run and check for crisco on the dipstick again.  If
the crisco appears after the first, or second hard run, I'd be thinking head
gasket first, then cracked head.

Also take a good look at your coolant. Has your coolant level been dropping?
If  there is crisco on the radiator cap too, well there's oil in the water
and water in the oil.  Unless you've got an enemy trying to make you nuts or
an angry wife, think head gasket then cracked head.

Bob Paul
Corrales NM