Re: TR4 wiper motor questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 wiper motor questions
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:49:46 EST
Thanks to all who replied as to the color of the wiper motor body. I have not
found a clear cut answer. In fact I have more questions now than before I
began. I know that I have the Lucas DR3A  wiper motor as that is what is
stamped on the cover. It seems to be a single speed motor. In fact I have two
DR3A's that I used to make one good one. The first has a 6 62 date code and
the other has 2 63 date code.

Lou Metelko  wrote:

"According to TRA's concours judging guide it depends if the motor is single
speed or the optional two speed. To quote the guide "Motor body on the
single speed PS7 was painted wrinkle finish matte black. Motor body on the
two speed DR3A was gray (silver) hammertone" The motor mounts were painted
body color."

Carl Sereda wrote:

"I believe you have a DR3A Type motor .. the DR3 is a two speed and has THREE
grouped wires coming out instead of TWO attachment points so it  would be
obvious."

Darrell Floyd,  VTR Chief Judge wrote"

"My wiper motor in my 62 TR4 is painted
smooth finish matte black. It is a Lucas DR3A single speed motor with a 2 62
date code."

A number of other people said that it should be "wrinkle black". That is the
color that I am leaning towards now. I will paint the wiper motor mount along
with the bracket that hold the master cylinders gloss black. I am now
confused as to why the DR3A is being called a single speed and  also a two
speed?

What I found out about the Ragosine Listate grease that goes in the wiper
gearbox, a modern moly/graphite/lithium grease should be used. Chris
Kantarjiev said he uses RedLine's synthetic wheel bearing grease. He also
stated:

"I don't know what Ragosine Listate grease is, but if it's what they
put in originally, I wouldn't use it again - that stuff gets harder
and harder with age, and needs the engine compartment to warm
up to make it liquid enough to allow the wipers to work properly."

Thanks again to all who responded,
Peter Schoppelry
'63 TR4