Re: vacuum sources and theory

To: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: vacuum sources and theory
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:54:04 -0400
Message text written by Randall
>I also feel that not having vacuum advance hurts part-throttle
>response.  Several times I've had an engine that just felt 'sluggish',
>and the problem turned out to be a failed vacuum advance.<

And this car is sluggish at part throttle.  When going from low-mid throttle to
high-mid throttle, there
is little additional power.  Maybe it is a low compression engine/low intrinsic
power issue....

I am still trying to figure out what to do with the timing until I get a vacuum
advance dist.
The haynes book does not help.  It just says xxx degrees btdc at idle.  Us and
UK settings are the same.

BUT, the US setting is with retard engaged (so it seems).  So as soon as you
crack the throttle, the
retard is gone and the timing is more advanced even before mechanical edvance
comes in....

So, when I have the retard disabled, then I need more advance dialed-in at
idle.  I GUESS that I advance little by
little until it pings at full throttle in top gear.  But with 8.25 compression,
that may be hard to do!

-Tony