RE: TR4 or TR4A?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 or TR4A?
From: "Triumph Driver" <triumph_driver@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:05:55 -0800 FILETIME=[A2817070:01C0ADBD]
>Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't the frame quite different between
>TR4 and a beam axle TR4A ?  It's perhaps less likely to've been changed
>than
>the engine and transmission ...  The rear axle and suspension are different
>too.  I believe on a TR4 the rear shock levers run fore and aft, while on a
>4A they run crosswise to the car.
>
>Randall
>59 TR3A

This is absolutely true.  The TR-4A chassis is very different from the TR-4
chassis.  But you have to get (or at least look) under the car to see the
difference...and we all know that driving these wonderful cars we never even
get a chance to see what the underside looks like, ah ?  :o)

Anyway, what I was saying is that there was a chassis number you could see
in the engine compartment without jacking the vehicle up.  But, it turns
out, I was wrong.  I was thinking of the Spitfire, as it has a chassis
number on the crossmember under the front of the engine, but the TR-4 does
not.  The other locations I mentioned (tranny, dif, etc) are correct though.
  Unfortunately any, or all, of them could have been swapped out.

Darrell, in the High Desert of California

62  TR-4  CT 5368 LO  (daily driver)
62  TR-4  CT 10440 L
62  TR-4  CT 13108 L  (long term project)
65  Spit  FC 51603 L
67  Spit  FD 2890 L   (daughters car)
77  Spit  FM 62888 UC  (other daily driver)
79  Spit  FM 98233 UC  (wifes car)