Re: head shaving

To: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: head shaving
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:07:17 -0600
Jay,

Milling (shaving) the BLOCK on a late TR-6 can remove recesses designed to
keep the head gasket in place. Early TR-6 blocks do not have these recesses
so if you milled enough material to eliminate them then you could use a
standard head gasket for an earlier model year. The block should only be
milled if it is warped (your machinist will check this with a precision
straight edge) or if you are trying to achieve a compression ratio higher
than 11:1 for racing purposes. I think the switchover was in 1972 so if
your car has its original engine then the block is recessed.

Milling the HEAD should be done if the head is warped or if you want to
achieve a moderate increase in compression ratio (max of about 10.5:1).
Milling the head will change the rocker geometry and in extreme cases may
require shorter pushrods. My car has been running at least 10:1 compression
for over 60,000 miles and uses stock length (but lightweight) pushrods.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com

///