To Bal, or Not to Bal?

To: "INTERNET:ebk@buffnet.net" <ebk@buffnet.net>
Subject: To Bal, or Not to Bal?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:57:33 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:ebk@buffnet.net
>       Question I ask an engine rebuilding shop: "What's you point of view
on
getting my inline 4 cyl. engine balance?"
        Ans: Sure we can do it, but it's probley not worth it. If it were a
V8,
then that's a different story.
        Qustion to the List: What your view point on this?  -Cosmo Kramer
<

Sounds like a personal predjudice against four cylinder engines.  I'll bet
after you left they quipped something like this:  "I wouldn't pour stale
beer on a four cylinder!"

My understanding is that the six and eight cylinders have a multiplanar
crankshaft and are less prone to vibrations.  These means balance is more
critical in four cylinder engines - especially if smoothness of operation
is desired.

Dave