Clutch questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch questions
From: Susan Tucker <sltucker1@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:49:11 -0500
Howdy,

Well, the last major problem that I need to fix on my '64 TR4 is with the
clutch.  The problem is that when the car is cold, it goes into all forward
gears smoothly and there is just a "normal" grind when it goes into
reverse.  After it warms up from a few laps around the block it REALLY
grinds when I try and put it into reverse.  Also, when you do go ahead and
put it into reverse, keep the clutch pushed in, take it out of reverse and
then try to put it back into reverse, it grinds again jsut like the first
time.  Also going into any of the 4 forward gears is not as smooth as it
was when it was cold.  It doesn't grind going into the forward gears but it
does kinda' "clunk" into the gear like the transmission just isn't as
stopped as it should be.  Also on a flat surface in first gear with the
clutch pushed in the car seems to want to creap forward.

Here's what I've done so far.  I have fixed the play in the clutch master
cylinder "yoke" and clutch pedal caused by wear in the pivot holes.  I've
bled the slave cylinder and my husband and I have adjusted the clutch as
per the service manual.  When the clutch is depressed, the rod on the slave
cylinder moves almost exactly 5/8 of an inch.  The clutch, pressure plate
and throwout bearing were supposed to have been replaced back when the
previous owner restored the car back in the mid '80's  ( I have the
receipts for the parts so I assume that they were actually installed).  The
car only has a couple of thousand miles on it since then but has been
sitting since about '89.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?  Any suggestions on what I should
check out next?

As always, thanks for any help you can give me,
Susan
"Life is not important except in its impact on the lives of others.
The feeling that an individual who is committed and will persevere, can
make a difference."     - Rachel Robinson
Susan Tucker            Phone (606) 846-4731
502 Davistown Road      Fax (606) 846-4731
Midway, Kentucky 40347  email: sltucker1@earthlink.net
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ky/sltuckerart/