Polarizing the voltage regulator

To: Susan Tucker <sltucker1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Polarizing the voltage regulator
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:10:52 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Susan Tucker
>   My TR4 system has been converted to negative groung.  Can anyone tell
me
how to polarize the voltage regulator and generator?  What connection do I
touch with the positive/hot side of the battery?
Do I take the positive of the battery to the field windings or to the
brushes?
Thanks for your help.
<

Susan,

Welcome to the list.

It is quite easy to repolarize an electrical system.  First, make sure
there are no polarity sensitive electronic devices connected.  Next, remove
the battery.  Third, swap the ammeter connections so it will read properly.
 Fourth, re-install the battery the other-way-round.  Lastly, disconnect
the wires on the generator.  Find a small jumper/test lead and connect one
end to the smaller terminal on the generator (field) and momentarily touch
the now hot neagative battery terminal.  Reconnect the generator wires and
you're done!

If you have a radio or electronic ignition you'll have to deal with that.

Good luck

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6