Powder coating question

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Powder coating question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:59:01 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Barry Schwartz
>All this talk about powder coating the wheels got me thinking (which can
be
a dangerous thing!)  I was contemplating powder coating my Panasports,
because after many, many years of everyday use, well, they are becoming a
bit tired.  I would want to finish them the same way they are now that is
gold except for the outer rim which is left polished.  Now I can manage to
mask the outer portion well enough but I also want the entire wheel to be
clear coated to protect the polished portion.  Can this be done?  Does one
apply the gold first, cure then apply the clear?  Wouldn't the application
of the clear and subsequent re-curing cause the clear and gold to run
together?  I guess my question would be How exactly would this be achieved?
 I would rather find out BEFORE I ruin a perfectly good wheel :-)
<

Barry,

The answer to your question is "Yes."  And "No."

Yes, you can coat selective areas with gold.  The Easwood kit comes with
special, hi-temp masking tape.  Apply the gold and cure. The gold will not
run when you cure the clear.  Remove the masking tape and apply the clear
and cure.  It's as simple as that.

Also, practice on a spare (or junk if you have it) wheel, first.  Get your
comfort level up before proceeding to your "expensive wheels."

Good luck

Dave