Stuck Brake Pistons

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck Brake Pistons
From: S Tilton <tr_nut@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 04:48:07 -0800 (PST)
Greetings All,

Regarding the stuck brake pistons:

I was never smart enough to actually hook up a brake
line and use the hydralic pressure to remove the
piston.  That sounds like a good idea.

I dont think Id like the idea of pumping grease into
my calipers.   Thats gotta be hard to clean up.

I remember once getting extremely frustrated with a
set of TR4 calipers.
After ruining a couple of screwdrivers prying on
groove where the rubber seal nests, and mangling the
edge of the piston . . . I got medieval on the sucker.

Tried grabbing it with clamps and grips to twist it,
tap it with a punch, eventually I whipped out the
drill and made two small holes in the exposed
sidewalls of the pistons.  Then I threaded some wire
through and made a little handle on the piston to grab
with a C clamp.

It worked. . . and drilling holes in the suckers was
very therapeutic to boot.

Afterwards you have these little piston baskets that
you can use to melt stuff in.
(Dont ask me what. . . . I made that part up)

TR-Nut
http://photos.yahoo.com/