Re: camber compensation (was: TR3B / TR4 valve covers-whatsoriginal?)

To: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: Re: camber compensation (was: TR3B / TR4 valve covers-whatsoriginal?)
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:12:32 +0000
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Douglas Frank wrote:

> Joe Curry wrote:    (when Joe Curry writes, I listen)
> >
> > the "factory fix" introduces a great deal of body roll that is
> > partially corrected by the larger front sway bar.  But the better
> > way to do it is the camber compensator.
>
> What if I backfit an old design swing-axle setup to my
> swing-spring GT6, clamped on a camber compensator, and left the
> heavier front swaybar in place.  Is anyone wiling to guess how
> would that handle?

Doug,
You can fix the swing spring to the diff by:

1. Removing the rocker box
2. removing the spacer and plate from between the bottom two leaves
3. stuffing enough material into the top of the rocker box to take up the space
between the top leaf and the top of the box.
4. Bolting the rocker box down to the diff as before

(Test at that point to see if you have removed the rocking action.  Additional
spacers in the box may be necessary.)

That way, you don't need to change any components to add a camber compensator.

I assume the later GT6's have the same long axles that the Spitfire 1500s do,
and so you will need the long axle camber compensator
which has a spring component that is a bit longer.

Regards,
Joe