Re: restoration record keeping

To: "Gary Nafziger" <naffy@netins.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: restoration record keeping
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:14:04 -0600
From: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>

>any thoughts from the group about record keeping while doing a restoration?
>I am experimenting with a spreadsheet used to list all parts i will need.
>One could list the part and in various columns, enter prices from various
>suppliers.....then easily compare costs.  totals ect.

Yes.  I did that for my initial buy of part for the Europa.  I expect that I
will do that for the TR4 real soon now, but the TR4 needs a lot less than
the Lotus needed...

>Also am wondering about some kind of journal to keep track of experiences
>thoughts and happenings.

If you are truly masochistic, I can send you the compiled articles about my
Europa I did for several years for the autocross newsletter I edited for ten
years.

>Do people try to keep track of hours worked?? or
>is it too depressing to add up ALL the costs of a restoration??LOL

I'm crazy, but I am not THAT crazy.

>I have taken some photo's but sometimes find that I get going taking things
>off/apart without making adequate records.......ideas??

Shoot it.
Tag it.
Bag it.

In the span of over a year I had the body off the Europa, I only lost one
part.  Brain fade at disassembly time.

I put parts in baggies with small pieces of paper written on with pencil.  I
took photos at various times.  Really helped at reassembly time.

Also, SAVE EVERYTHING.  Including bolts you know you will not re-use.  It is
easier to get new ones later if you save the old nasty ones.  In one case, I
had two Europa rear-gearbox-mount bolts in a baggy with a note:  "Get new
ones 1/2" longer".  Worked very well.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.