RE: Dreaded Red Light

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Dreaded Red Light
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:27:35 -0800
Bill :
My guess would be a dead generator, but let's do this right :

1) Visual inspection : fan belt present and tight, generator mounts snug,
generator electrical connections clean and tight, regulator connections clean
and tight.

2) Quick regulator test : with the engine running, connect a voltmeter between
the F and D terminals at the regulator. Anything over 0.1 volts indicates a bad
regulator.  (Note to others, this is only true when the red light is on.  It's
normal to find voltage here when the generator is working normally.)

3) Generator test : disconnect both wires from the generator, connect a
voltmeter from the D (large) generator terminal to ground.  Start the engine,
rev to 1500-2000 rpm.  Voltage should be between 1.5 and 2.0 volts, if not,
there is a problem with the generator armature, brushes, etc.  (Note, if the
generator is not polarized, it will flunk this test.)  Stop the engine, connect
an ammeter between the F (small) and D terminals on the generator, keeping the
voltmeter between D and ground.  Start the engine, then rev slightly while
watching the voltmeter.  If you don't get 12v by 1500 rpm, or the ammeter
reading is not approximately 2 amps, there is a problem with the generator
field circuit.

If all these tests pass, the problem is likely in the wiring between the
generator and regulator.

Note : if the problem turns out to be the generator, remove the inspection band
(or disassemble the generator if you have a later unit without the band) and do
a visual.  Thrown solder indicates a regulator problem that will also damage
your new generator. (BTDT, switched to an alternator <g>)

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver