Re: advice requested

To: jsimmons@intrepid.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: advice requested
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:57:17 EST
In a message dated 11/21/00 6:35:10 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jsimmons@intrepid.net writes:

<< They all promise
 to offer the extra zip but I get the feeling that when you get something you
 have to give up something in return, >>

True.
The following applies to a normaly asperated engine, turbo engines are
different.  Also this applies to engines in general and is not Triumph
specific.

The torque output of a stock engine ( any) is usually a slightly rising and
falling curve.  For this example, the engine produces 60 ftlb @ 1000 RPM  100
ftlb @ 4000 RPM and 60 ftlb @ 6000 RPM (redline).

For the first step of upgrade we add a headder,free flow muffler,
larger/different carb and a more aggressive spark curve.  Now the power is 70
ftlb @ 1000  115 ftlb @ 4000 and 75 @ 6000 RPM  ( + 10, + 15, + 15)

Next we add a mild ported head, milled head for more compression, stiffer
valve springs, step 2 cam.  The engine now makes   50 ftlb @ 1000 RPM   130
ftlb @ 4000 and  110 ftlb @ 6000  ( - 10, + 30, + 50 )

Now we add a all out race ported head, larger valves, high compression
pistons ,multiple carbs, larger headder pipes.  Now the engine makes:  0 ftlb
at 1000 ( won't even idle without a load)   130 ftlb @ 4000  175 @ 6000  ( -
60, + 30,  + 115)

It's pretty easy to raise the power across the RPM band in the first example.

For the second, you see how the torque curve is starting to turn into a peak
and move towards the right.

For the third, the engine puts puts out a very high power output, but over a
very narrow RPM range.  The area under the curve stays the same, but we fold
it to a sharp point and move it to the right.

This where the old " you can't beat cubic inches " comes into play.  You can
only got so much out of a given engine size.  Inorder to attain the high
output in the last example, everything from air intake to exhaust is tuned
for a specific RPM.

With a turbo, you are in essence adding cubic inches.

For a street engine, a slightly larger carb, cam two steps larger than stock,
mild ported head and smallish headder should produce good results.

Harold