Re: TR8 Motor question

Subject: Re: TR8 Motor question
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dbmitch@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 14:46:10 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
All,

First off, let me say that I know the individual involved with the
design of the 215 cu. in. Buick aluminum engine. There is an article
by this individual regarding the engine on the Team.Net ftp site.
Unfortunately, that site is currently unavailable. When the ftp
site comes back up, look for it there.

In a nutshell, working from a hazy memory, this engine was originally
designed by GM Engineering Staff for a 'new' compact car that would
be entering the market in 1961. After the Engineering Staff finished
the design of it, it (the design) was turned over to the Buick division.
(This was often the case, Engineering Staff was responsible for the
original designs, and then the divisions made changes according to their
needs. This is why the Vega engine was a disaster, the original design
from Staff was a very reliable engine.) Buick made a few changes to the
engine, and Oldsmobile adopted the engine pretty much as it stood.

Doug Mitchell
dbmitch@peoplepc.com
'73 Spitfire 1500