Running Question / Electrical

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Running Question / Electrical
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:57:30 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Kai M. Radicke"
>Today's wonderful problem is that the car will start with the key in the
III
position, and as soon as the key is released into the II position the car
shuts off.  However, by passing the ballast resister and heading straight
from the positive battery terminal the positive terminal of the coil allows
the car to run fine.

The weird thing is that I am getting 11.50-11.95V to the coil from the
positive lead from the harness, if I reconnect this while running under the
bypass lead (battery direct to coil), and then remove the bypass lead
(still
while running).... it stalls.

Note: it made it home under it's own power before this problem arose, but
the family member who was driving it had mentioned momentary losses of all
power while at speed... with the power promptly resuming after a few
seconds.

Any suggestions?
<

Kai,

Your ballast resistance wire is failing (or the connection at one end or
the other) and the resistance is too high.  If you are measuring 11.5 volts
it is because the points are open.  If you rotate the engine untill the
points are closed you should be measuring 6-8 volts.  I'll bet you are
getting more like 0.5 to 2 volts.

The quick fix is to get an external ballast resistor at the parts store and
wire it up to a white wire somewhere and you will be good as new.

Good luck

Dave