Re: Hot Wires - why?

To: frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au
Subject: Re: Hot Wires - why?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:48:40 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

The small Facet pumps require a couple of amps to run. I ran #14 wires
from the fuse panel to the pump. If your wires are running "hot", you
probably have wires that are gauged too small. Just for laughs, try
running a length of wire two sizes up from what you have and see if the
wire "cools down" under normal operation. In other words, if you ran #14
wires initially, try running a #10 wire. However, I think a #10 wire is
probably major over-kill for a fuel pump.

Bottom line: the wires should not be hot to the touch under normal
operating circumstances. Period.

Wires that are warm, that is, you can hold them for long periods without
burning your hands are probably okay.

Wires that are hot - you cannot hold them for more than a second or two -
are sized much too small for the application and should be replaced
before you start a fire.

If you smell the wires while the circuit is in use - well, you can only
assume that fire is not far behind. You probably want to avoid this
scenario if you can!

Now, your car is a PI car, so I can only assume that a high pressure pump
like you probably need draws a bit more current than a dinky little 3.5
PSI unit like my carbie based system needs, but I ran #14 wires for mine,
and the wires are generally ambient temp. when the circuit is active.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |