Re: TR4 starter problem -- or not?

Subject: Re: TR4 starter problem -- or not?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:59:02 -0700
Steven :

My first suspicion would be a bad connection somewhere, that gets better
when it gets hot.  Try doing the crank, and then immediately feeling
along the wire from the starter to the solenoid, and the solenoid to the
battery, and the battery to the body.  Heat indicates a bad connection.

Same thing applies to the ground strap from the engine to the body, but
it's a bit difficult to feel (at least on a TR3).  A voltmeter from the
engine block (or better yet starter housing) to the battery ground post
is the best way to check it.  Anything over 0.5 volts during cranking
indicates a problem.

Could also be a bad solenoid.  Best test here is substitution.

Might be a bad starter.  Sometimes the starter bearings wear until the
armature drags on the pole pieces "sometimes".  Pull the starter,
disassemble, and look for drag marks on the armature and pole pieces.
While you're in there, check for worn out brushes, etc.

And for the screwiest theory : Could be a sticking centrifugal advance.
If the weights hang up in the advanced position, the engine can actually
try to run backwards against the starter, leading to slow cranking.  Try
pulling off one of the coil leads for the first crank in the morning.
If the problem never happens with the coil disconnected, suspect an
ignition problem.  Too much static advance can also cause this problem.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO