TR4 OD ball - last chapter

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 OD ball - last chapter
From: Nyberg Peter <Peter.Nyberg@lio.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:03:37 +0200
List,
I'm amazed and very thankful about the interest in my OD ball problem.
Yesterday I found 2 (an extra just in case)  5/16" balls at a shop
specializing
in all kinds of bearings. I changed the gearbox oil. Couldn't find any
residues
in the old (about 40 miles) oil or in the filter behind the brass plug in
the OD.
Put in the ball. Ajusted the solenoid/valve so that the lift is .05" and
went for
a test drive.
In 4th gear and 3000 rpm I engaged the OD and the revs fell to 2500. However
when I pressed the accelerator very easily the revs increased but
not
the speed. The OD is obviously slipping. When disengaging the OD I'm
back to 4th again.
Conclusion - the valve is operating OK - the OD is not. I have no idea for
how
long the 1/4" ball has been in the OD but obviously too long. Thanks again
everybody for sharing.
Peter Nyberg
CT 17307 L(NO)