Re: 1976 TR7 Questions

To: Jim Altman <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: Re: 1976 TR7 Questions
From: Brian Furgalus <triumph.tr7@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 22:06:08 -0400
Cc: "TR8 List (E-mail)" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "'triumphs@autox. team. net' (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jim,

OK, I'll take a stab here.

> 1) What kind of valves are in this thing? Are they adjustable or hydraulic?

They are adjustable, but you have to pull the cam and sert/remove shims
under the lifters.  So, in essence, I guess they aren't adjustable.  BUT
you can get the shims at a SAAB dealer.  They're the same asn a Saab 99
8v.

> 2) What marking exists on the crank to indicate TDC for timing.  I know the
> approximately location where I expect it to be, but can't find anything like
> a detent to tell me where it is.  I see a lil bump on the crank, but if its
> TDC I am running at about 50 BTDC.  The engine is running not too bad after
> a Pertronix and complete carb cleaning and rebuild.  It even idles so I
> can't be 50 BTDC.

There should be a notched indent on both ridges of the pulley.

> 3) What is the correct battery size? Anyone got an Interstate Number or
> other number I can use for cross reference.

I do know that it takes the same battery as my 1983 Honda Civic, so go
from there!

> 4) Any quick thoughts on why one headlamp will rise but not retract?
> Possibly just dirty?

Yes, probably dirty parking switch.  It's buried in there somewhere.

> 5) If the radiator was extremely low do I have to pull the plug atop the
> thermostat? What do I do next? Fill it or just let air out?

This I'm not sure on.  The later cars, my FI included, have a very
different setup.

> 6) Did the Federal version have an air pump? Looks like there was one and
> was removed.

Yep.  The little holes by the spark plugs, probably pluged with
something now, are where the rail injected the air.

> 7) They didn't really leave out a fuel filter is designing these, did they?

Incredibly, I don't see any mention of one on the carbed cars!  It
should probably, therefore, have one added!

If I'm incorrect on any of this, I'm sure others will chime in.

Brian
1981 TR7 DHC