wires

To: John Summers <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Subject: wires
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:30:53 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by John Summers
>Dave Massey and Glen Rattman have schooled me some on the wires coming
from the coil.  Yes the wire was tan&pink and had woven insulation.
Glen said it had "special resistance wire".  I replaced it with 12 guage
solid copper wire.  Wrong guess, I guess huh.  Also, from within the
wrapping of the tape on the harness there seemed to be a black oily
substance.  Graphite perhaps?  Or did this come from within the "special
resistance wire"?
Were I to change to a Lucas Sport coil would I even need this wire to go
to it?
And, lastly, will any coil do?  I would think not since I had gotten one
two weeks ago from Pep Boys - a Borg-Warner is all I know and it didn't
seem to have enough kick to really excite the car to start
enthusiasticly.
Sooo, where do I go from here?  How long can I drive with the weird wire
I have?
John Summers
<

It depends on whether the sport coil is a 12 volt or 6 volt coil.  That is
does it need tha ballast resistor.  To find out measure the resistance of
the low voltage coil.  A 12 volt coil will measure about 3.5 ohm whereas
the 6 volt coil will measure about 1.5 ohms.  If you need the ballast
resistor you can get a ceramic model for a Chrystler, for example, and wire
it in.

How long can you drive as is?  Not too long.  You are over stressing the
points and they will expire before too long.  Get a 12 volt coil and you
will be fine.

Dave