RE: wires

To: "triumphs-digest@autox.team.net" <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wires
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:11:49 -0700
John :

My suggestion would be to replace the "special resistance wire" entirely
with 12 gauge, and then add a discrete external ballast resistor.  The coil
your car should have had needed the external ballast, as do most coils
commonly available today.  (Don't know about the Lucas Sports, my
understanding is that they were available in both forms.  The one sold by
Moss apparently doesn't need an external ballast.)  The Borg-Warner coil
from Pep Boys should work just fine, if you mount it securely.  (The one I
got was smaller than the original coil on my TR3, but maybe that isn't a
problem for the later cars.  I used a beer can as a spacer.)  Pep Boys will
also sell you the ballast resistor.  (If the parts droid doesn't know what
to sell you, ask for a ballast resistor for a 63 Dodge Dart with a 225ci
slant six <g>).

The nice thing about using a coil that takes an external ballast is that
second wire to the starter solenoid, that shorts the resistor out while
starting, thereby giving a hotter spark when you need it most.

How long you can drive depends on how much of the resistance wire you
replaced, and how tired your points were to begin with.  My experience has
been that running without a ballast (where one is required) will cause the
points to die in 800-1200 miles.

Randall