Re: Clutch problems

To: <Paul_Barlow@translink.bc.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch problems
From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:48:05 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

----- Original Message -----
From: <Paul_Barlow@translink.bc.ca>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2000 12:25 PM
Subject: Clutch problems

> As I settled into the driver seat anticipation ran high, back to my
> love. (The wife was still sleeping) I pressed in the clutch, yes it seemed
> top have pressure but when I tried to put it into gear nothing but
> grinding.( No I didn't force anything) So now it's under the car for a
quick
> check of the slave cylinder, it moves fine when pressing in the clutch.
But
> no luck, I still didn't like it. Even trying to get it to go into gear
> without the engine running was difficult. I must admit that the release
> bearing was making noise last year and before it sat, but everything
seemed
> OK. Question is, time for a new release bearing & clutch. Maybe a slave
> cylinder. Any help would be useful.
>
> Paul Barlow
> TR 250
> CD 5470 LO

Paul:
Here's one possibility: Rev the car in neutral up to @3500 rpm, depress the
clutch. If it slips into gear( especially if the car was parked with a
slight uphill grade), then your engine thrust washers are worn, Ask me how I
know this......... spinning the engine forces the crank and fly wheel to
rotate back into place, allowing the clutch to full engage.
Hey, you thought all the Triumph owners were blipping the throttle at the
stop lights 'cause it sounds cool?
Paul Burr