RE: Clutch problems

To: "'Paul_Barlow@translink.bc.ca'" <Paul_Barlow@translink.bc.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Clutch problems
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:12:55 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Paul-
        Sometimes after a period of storage, the clutch driven disc gets
'attached' to the flywheel or pressure plate.  Assuming the clutch worked
correctly last fall, i.e.. the throw out shaft and related bits are in good
order, all you have to do is get the driven disk to give up it's hold on the
Flywheel or Press Plate.  Easiest and quickest-  roll the car out of the
garage or at least get a little space in front of it,  put the car in 1st
gear, depress the clutch, and hit the starter.  In almost all cases, the
clutch disk will lose it's affection for the FW or PP almost immediately.
(OK, purists, a tad brutal, but effective....)  If the car starts moving,
you have a very stuck clutch disk.  For that, I'd suggest another variant of
the aforementioned technique.  Put the rear end up on jackstands, L&R, put
the car in gear and start it up. The rear wheels will be turning, so make
sure nothing can get tangled up.   Next, hit the brakes, while depressing
the clutch. If this doesn't do it, I'd suspect something nasty has gone
wrong- Assuming the 250 uses the same throwout shaft as most other 3/3A/4/4A
etc...  there may have been a failure in the pinning for the throwout fork.
Enjoy
Bob Westerdale