Re: Overlooking the obvious

To: jmcneal@ohms.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overlooking the obvious
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:41:29 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 00-04-01 21:14:31 EST, jmcneal@ohms.com writes:

<<  I went around the car,
 filling each one up to the suggested 36 pound maximum and took the car for
 another spin around the block.  Not only is the scraping gone (duh!), I
 almost felt like I had power steering!  The ride quality and handling both
 were dramatically improved.   >>

Jeff,

Wow...36 pounds in each tire...sounds like a lot of air to me....what year/Mk
Spit do you have?  My owner's manual ('70 Mk3) says 21 for the front; 26 for
the rear for 155R13's.  I read somewhere that the difference in front-to-back
tire pressures is critical to good handling in the earlier Spits because of
the sway arm rear suspension.  I've been keeping 23 and 28 lbs respectively
in 165R13's....am I underinflating for today's roads, conditions, tires?

With 36 pounds in the front, I can understand the "power steering" feel!  Any
of you hardy Spit owners care to comment?

Chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (ready for summer)