Steering wheel update

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering wheel update
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:13:40 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Thanks to those who recommended Lexol leather reconditioner for my junk-yard
steering wheel.  It worked great---brought the leather back to almost
like-new.  And the "leather" rim of the TR6 wheel is, in fact,
leather---whether it feels like rubber or not (the springy foam interior
causes this "feel").  I've sanded and primed the spokes and am ready to
spray the final flat-black finish.  This will result in a 14.5" wheel with
the correct black spokes for a '72 TR6 (the goal being an ounce more of
legroom).  The only difference between the original 15" wheel and the new
one will be a barely noticeable smaller diameter.  This is, I'd say, an
acceptible detour from originality. <g>

The cost of this "new" steering wheel, including the Lexol (small bottle not
sold by Moss!), sandpaper, filler/primer, and paint, will come in under $30.
The yard sold the wheel to me for $15 because of some very minor
rust-pitting on the silver spokes.  Not bad!

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com