TR4/250/6 Transmission countershaft madness

To: "lee.k.janssen@lmco.com" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR4/250/6 Transmission countershaft madness
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 20:12:20 -0500
Lee,  I have been told to go with the "closed" needle roller bearing
design, and a new layshaft.  When the "closed" bearing fails, it will probably
NOT destroy the layshaft ($$).  In my "spare" transmission the layshaft
was demolished by a roller bearing failure.  Wore right through the
shiny hardened surface and delaminated some of the surface.  Looks interesting.

As for the thrust washers: is there room for a fancy "roller" type that you say
Rimmer
describes?  If so, that sounds good, and tell me more about this, since I am
not familiar
with it!

Also, you need to consider the "top hat" (second gear)
bushing.  The brass (tr2-early6) ones always break  The steel 2-piece ones are
tough, but
will not fit the earlier mainshaft.  We are experimenting with the newer design
(2-piece), but
in brass (i.e. cut 2 bushings to make a single (properly fitting) 2-piece unit.
 Ought to work
just as well as the steel one (once available in a size for the TR2-TR4 box).

-Tony