Intermiitent Power Loss

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intermiitent Power Loss
From: Neil Castle <neil@eu.c2.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:25:00 +0100 (BST)
Cc: neil_castle@hotmail.com

Hi Folks,

I am new to this list. I have a Dolomite 1500HL (same as Spit 1500 engine)
with twin SU4 Carbs. The car suffers from intermittent power loss. It
seems like there is fuel startvation of some sort or air is being sucked
in. The following has been tried:

        - clean fuel pipes
        - clean and adjsut carbs
        - renew air filters
        - renew and refit manifold gaskets
        - renew carb breather hoses
        - overhaul and refit fuel pump
        - check and clean fuel filler cap breather

Each one of these seems to cure the problem for a time then it returns.
Usually the problem cuts in after running about five or six miles, or
sometimes not at all. It seems to be worse on hot days, but that may just
be my imagination!

When this happens, the car runs fine up to about 3,500 revs and then there
is no increase in power up to 4,000. The car won't run above 4,000 what
ever the load conditions. When the car is running OK, it will run at 60mph
with engine doing about 3,800 revs (on the flat) quite smoothly.

There are other problems to be sorted out, but until this one is cured it
is impossible to start sorting other tuning matters. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Neil Castle

Berkshire, UK

Herald 12/50