Re: IRS Suspension

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: IRS Suspension
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:00:59 -0700
Tony and others interested. Yes, I am referring to positive camber, that
is, the top of wheel leans to outside of car (see page 4-211 of TR4
manual). I did consider just letting the rear springs "sag in" during
initial use, but the ride height is quite high. I'm using new Michelins
175s, which are probably close to the 590s that came on the car. I have
an original owners manual that pictures the car and the wheels look tiny
by today's typical use of larger tires. The other thing I didn't mention
is that these are new springs from Moss, standard grade, and the fronts
are also. They sell a front spring with a "reduced thickness spacer" for
the front. However, the ride height is also very high in the front. I
may try removing the front spacer as well. Tony, check my reasoning on
this. If I'm, say, 3 degrees positive with Outer 2Up Inner 1up, I need
to go toward negative camber by 5.5 to 6.5 degrees, the closet setup on
your chart is Outer 3D Inner 3Up, or 0.98 degrees from maximum negative.
Getting more negative camber should lower ride height. I remember when I
owned a new 66 TR4A, by 1968 it had to have spacers installed it was
dragging so much. Comments appreciated. Jerry Oliver