Rust chasing

To: CarlSereda@aol.com
Subject: Rust chasing
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:55:40 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

> Ken - sure could use a online version of the TR4 Competition Manual!
> Carl
> '64 TR since '74  ...  getting closer to engine rebuild ...or am I getting
> farther away as I chase the rust ?

I don't need to chase MY rust... sure is easy to find.

Right now I am concentrating on the LH inner fender (nose).  The bonnet
hinge bolts & their surroundings are quite rusty.  Question: is the
backing plate (the part with the captured nuts) permanently fastened to
the body tub?  I would like to remove the backing plate and repair some
rust-thru on both it and the tub.

I guess I could weld the whole works together (shucks bubba, you gon' need
a bigger tip fer that job), thereby slagging away any rust... but that
kinda makes me cringe, and would not be the best solution.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm